Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chapter Six

“Aisha looks as if I’ve socked her in the chest. She sits back, breathing hard. Her frizzy hair has straggled loose from her braid. She blinks away a few tears. The others stare at me in shock. Then she picks up her tray, stiffly, and walks down the aisle of tables. I’m left staring at my own tray. Strange, nasty thughts come swarm into my head. I’ve never made my sister cry before. It seems impossible. Aisha is too strong, too smart for me. But this is different. It’s like having a new kind of power, black and ungly, like what Uncle did to me this morning.
And the weird thing is: I like.” Pg. 52

The first thought that came into my head was Revenge is Sweet. Ouch! All of a sudden, I believe Nadira has found the negative potential buried deep underneath the layers of unsureness. I feel like she’s lost a lot of what her sister used to be, and suddenly feels more powerful than her. Making her own sister cry, after how worse she’s treated her, seems great to her. I have a feeling that she recognizes it that it isn’t a good kind of power. Its written in itself, “black and ugly”. I meant for Nadira to speak up, but not in a rude way. She should discover the positive qualities, not negative. At least we know now that she can be outspoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment