Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nadira's Confidence (Chapter Nine)

"I think about what Ma said, how I'm patient and that one day people will see my slow, steady strength. And I keep thinking about Ali-Uncle, how he never hurries himself, and he always knows in advance what he's going to do or say. He once told me that every action, every word of his, is watched my Allah. If I say a word that is angry, he explained, then I should never be surprised by the harm. And if I say something good, then it is like watching my own garden grow, and that is the greatest pleasure ever. That's what Aisha and I are doing. We're planting a garden with our words. Our future. Everything careful and chosen well so the shoots come up strong and straight. It's as if Ali-Uncle's hands are still on our heads, warming us from the inside out." pg. 79

Well two main things, really. Ali-Uncle, seems like a really awesome old man! 8D
Literally. He has this way of words that seems to just have this "sink in" feeling. I like how he phrases the things with words. That to never be surprised by the harm, angry words could cause. I feel like Nadira is comparing herself to him. Which is good. He seems like a positive role model. Nadira seems to be going onto the positive side. Even though things aren't looking so good, she seems to be understanding how important it is for her to stick together with Aisha. She has good positive qualities that I think are revealing themselves to her. I really hope she continues to look towards her positive qualities! She thinks very deeply and I like her point of view. Keep on cruising, Nadira! We believe in you! 

2 comments:

  1. Kayla, I think what you say about Ali-Uncle's words sinking in is true, nice way to put it. I also like that you notice Nadira comparing her self to Ali-Uncle, but what could be something bad that might happen from that?

    -jena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way you noticed and recognized Ali Uncle. He's one of those characters that is simply the essence of awesomeness, but has the power to be overlooked. I have the same question as Jena though- Ali Uncle seems to be an excellent role model for Nadira

    ReplyDelete