Monday, March 2, 2009

You're only little...Chapter's three and four

" These are the stories you hear from your grandmother with the dry rattle in her throat, her teeth stained red from pan and betel leaves; from your abba when he's in a quiet mood and smoothes your hair over and over. You're only little, but you know it's there: that feeling that you know what terror will pulse from the ground." pg. 22

Talking about creepy, man! I feel like there is more to Nadira than anyone sees. She seems a lot smarter than Aisha to me, in her own way. She seems more thoughtful. I like how Nadira thinks about things. The first quote makes me think of my grandmother, she smells of chilly peppers, and has this crisp tone to her that makes her voice sound scratchy as she tells stories. My grandfather is listening to her and ocasionally smiling. I remember when I was much younger that I used to sit in his lap while he brushed my hair or occasionally attempting to get gum out of it, by smothering it with peanut butter and other sticky things that you wouldn't want in your hair. Overall, the stories they used to tell me, they were never negative, they were always happy and I wasn't always afraid of the "terror that would pulse from the ground".

No comments:

Post a Comment