Monday, March 2, 2009

Neeli's Narrative

"But I actually like the sound of Aisha in this chapter because it makes her more like a human being, than a robot or a 'perfect' Barbie doll. Aisha tries so hard to become exactly like the American kids though, that makes me wonder whether she's doing it to fit in, or to not seem like she's from another place." -Neeli's 2nd post

Neeli has a point. In these chapters we find out things about Aisha that we didn't know about. I disagree with Neeli at one point. This chapter doesn't really make her seem more like a human, other than the fact that she's actually demonstrating a point of view towards "obese" people. I mean, judging someone is actually human instincts but the way she describes them is practically inhuman that its ironic in a way! She knows that people treat her like "out of the ordinary" and uses that to her advantage. Aisha does actually bother me a lot. I do feel bad for her and I do understand that its tough coming to a new place, but does she really have to change who she is? I feel like Aisha has multiple split personalities, she could be nice if she wanted to.

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting question there Kayla, about whether or not Aisha has to change who she is. Clearly she's a different person than she was when she lived in Bangladesh-- different clothes, different ideas, different goals. But has that changed the core of her, her identity?

    Another way of thinking of this question might be to take the opposite approach: how do we define who we are?

    ReplyDelete